Unexpected fire wipe out family belongings

0
60

Hammanskraal Kekana Gardens family of five lost their belongings when their house was burnt down by an unexpected fire on 21 March 2020.

The family lost Identity Documents, school uniforms, and their furniture that burnt in the unexpected fire that started in the main bedroom.

The family was home watching TV when the fire started and realized smoke coming from the main bedroom and by the time they wanted to stop the fire, it was too late.

One of the brothers in the family, Mr Simon Makhubela, said the fire has affected the family badly because no one came to their help, not even the disaster management.

“The firefighters did not respond and only Bakone Community Safety Forum helped to clean the burnt house in order to start rebuilding it.

The family reported the matter to the police but could not open a case because there was no suspect for arson.

Mr Makhubela is currently staying with his girlfriend while the rest of his family is at Galaletsang guest house which they have to pay rent. His sister has to pay R400 for a meter taxi to travel to work because her car was burnt during the fire and the insurance has not settled or provided her with a courtesy car.

The family is asking for assistance with building materials and clothes as they are rebuilding the house from their saving.